Friday, July 30, 2010

This Present Darkness

I'm so sorry blogging world for my absence from you. I could probably think of every excuse in the book for why my writing has been lacking- but I think I'd rather be honest and say, it just hasn't been a priority lately. Life is different from the last time I wrote here. A lot has happened. Mostly good, some bad, and all of it highly uninteresting to anyone who isn't me, so I shall not ramble on. Instead I'd like to share a book with you. Yes, with everything that happens in my life I will always manage to find time to read a good book. As a matter of fact, its not an unusual occurrence to see me planted in a tucked away coffee shop with a chai tea latte and four different books on my lap- all of which I am currently reading. So yes- I love literature. I could eat it for every meal and be sustained for life.
For the past few weeks I have been heavily engrossed in a Christian fiction book entitled "This Present Darkness". For the most part, I tend not to like "Christian fiction" as it can often be cheesy and a bit cliche, but this book is most definitely an exception. It may not ever be considered a work of literary genius, but its message will forever haunt me. The novel touches on the concept of spiritual warfare and its effect on humanity. Sometimes we get so engrossed in our own little worlds, that we forget Christ tells us there is currently a war being waged for our souls everyday. I would be foolish to think my everyday doubts, my negative thoughts, my poor body image, or my anxious heart were not do to the whisperings of Satan and his legion of demons. Have you ever felt that feeling of dread wash over you as if out of no where? Have you ever had a day where you do nothing but harp on yourself all day long? Have you ever made yourself sick over worry? These thoughts and feelings do not come from the Lord. And when we are engrossed in such emotions or negativity we often feel distant from God- it is usually the time we feel least like praying or reading The Word. But this book has reminded me that Satan CANNOT be in the presence of prayer. When I am on my knees in prayer I am unable to keep my mind glued on what Satan is feeding me.
I'm sure it is no coincidence that while I'm reading this book I experience a day where I feel totally and utterly attacked. Today has been filled with worry, negative body image thoughts, and lies upon lies. I have felt anxious, sad, depressed, and angry... and I know my loving God is not responsible for this. So I'm fighting back. If Satan wants to wage war, then lets get down and dirty, because I ain't goin without a fight!

Ephesians 6:12-18
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

1 comment:

vicki said...

Love love love your thoughts on this, Emily. I read the book in 1988 or 1989 (yes, I learned to read when I was just 4--haha). Peretti has an ability to paint the reality of darkness in a way which brings it to life in a vivid and frightening way. I love how he continues to bring us to hope, to victory, and to a place of rest (yes, prayer). Brilliant!

Oh, how about Neh 4:14. Our fight is with prayer rather than weapons.