Sunday, February 28, 2010
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Monday, February 15, 2010
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Now I must admit, I wasn't always a Joan Jett fan- to be honest, many of her hit songs that catapulted her to fame status among rock and roll legends, were far beyond my time. But her classic sound, killer guitar skills, and honest lyrics have continued to ring true from generation to generation- earning herself the well deserved title of "Godmother of Rock and Roll".
Joan Jett fought hard for her place in the purely male dominated world of Rock and Roll, battling hostile audiences and more than thirty rejections from record label companies that refused to sign her due to the simple fact that she was a woman playing in a mans world. She fearlessly picked up the electric guitar and pathed the way for thousands of other women to do the same. Now, after millions of records and about a dozen hit songs, Joan Jett has become a music legend and an inspiration to women.
I often find myself engrossed in her music when I'm in need of a little pick me up- to quote one of her most famous songs, I love Rock and Roll!
Friday, February 5, 2010
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
- Reading Anna Karenina. Its been such a crazy adventure navigating my way through Tolstoy's portrayal of the most basic and complex of human relationships, interactions, deceit, and love. I've found myself captivated by his words, inspired by his depth of love, and fascinated by his views of society. I am a better woman for having read this incredible work of literature.
- The winter rain here in Arizona has renewed my spirit and reminded me once again the joys of sitting by a fire with a mug of hot coco and a good book. Its been a cozy winter... my favorite!
- Watching loads upon loads of movies with my girlfriends. Some of my recent favorites include... The Young Victoria, Bright Star, Chicago, Sweeny Todd, Rachel Getting Married, Grey Gardens, Pride and Prejudice (the new one- but I love the old one just as much!), Marie Antoinette, 500 Days of Summer, Amelie, Chocolat... and much much more!
- Reading John Keats's surviving love letters he wrote to Fanny Brawne in the early 1800's. The honesty and vulnerability in which he writes to the woman he loves is nothing short of beautiful and wholeheartedly captivating. His words literally give me goose bumps as I read them.
- My reignited yoga practice!! I finally bit the bullet and bought a membership at my favorite yoga studio. Despite the added expense, I have thoroughly enjoyed getting back into my practice. I now attend a 90 min heated Vinyasa Flow class 3-4 times a week, and it has continued to challenge me and reinvigorate me more and more each week. Doing yoga is like breathing- I forget how much I ache to do it until I'm no longer doing it.
- The kids I'm a nanny for. Although my job is not always easy- it is always a joy to watch the children grow, learn, and change on a daily basis. Ever since I began working for this family, I've made a habit out of always playing music in the house while we're all playing. Its wasn't until last week when James* (*name has been changed) and I were dancing in the kitchen that he stopped and yelled "I LOVE THE BEATLES!!" It cracked me up that he knew I was playing the Beatles- I think I have a miniature fellow music lover on my hands :-) What a blessing!
- Starting spring semester at school. While I may not always love attending class and actually working hard, I do thoroughly enjoy my Microbiology class. Learning about and working with live bacteria in the lab is absolutely fascinating!!