Thursday, February 12, 2009

Your Daily Dose of Empowerment

Why is it men and women both unanimously agree that being a woman is most definitely more difficult than being a man? Further more, why is it that we as women have settled into a life of resignation when it comes to our struggle with body image, food, and weight? I've heard women say time and time again that to some extent obsessing over our bodies is a "normal" thing for women to do. WHY? What about body dissatisfaction is normal? Its nothing more than an excuse if you ask me. I dont know about you, but I dont want to spend my entire life hating my body or wishing it could be different... what a waste of energy and emotion. Who said that as women this is our cross to bear? NOT ME THATS FOR SURE! I'm fully aware that as I age my body will continue to change, but why are we all trying so desperately hard to keep that from happening? We should be wearing our ever changing bodies as badges of honor... not failure. Now dont be mistaken, I too am guilty of riding the seemingly never ending merry-go-round of body image issues... but I'll be damned if I let myself believe that its "just the way life is". Next time you look at your cellulite, thick thighs, fluffy tummy, or big butt, dare to fight back. Big butt?? SAYS WHO? Ugly hair? SAYS WHO? Who made the rule that only skinny girls with stick legs, big boob, perfect hair, and flawless skin were beautiful? Its time to change our definition of beauty. Its time to be proud of who we are and what we look like. Its time stop letting our unrealistic ideal of the "perfect figure" dictate what we eat, what we wear, or what we do. Dont promise to love who you are five pounds from now... just do it NOW! It wont be easy I can promise you that.... but it will be worth it. I dont know about you, but I'm done believing that all women are doomed to struggle with body image their entire life.... thats ridiculous, and I bet it makes God incredibly sad.

No comments: