Sunday, November 9, 2008

One of Those Days




At the end of everyday I have a habit of labeling that specific day as a "good" day or a "bad" day. This might not sound unusual to most of you, but there's something I haven't yet told you. These good and bad day labels refer specifically to what type of body image day I've had. You see, there are days when I feel wonderfully at home and utterly at peace with my body, but there are also days where ED ("Eating Disorder") looms over head feeding me lies about how horrible I look and how fat I've become. Sad isn't it? It's true that I no longer struggle with anorexia... but instead I fight daily with body image issues.
The moment I woke this morning, I could tell this was going to be one of those "bad" days. Ugh I despise these days! When I feel moments such as these creeping up behind me, I do the only thing I can...turn to the Lord. This is not my battle to fight, its His. Right now it's only 9am and already I feel exhausted just thinking about the work that lies ahead of me today. All day I will be forced to fight every negative thought, taking it captive and making it obedient to the Lord. All day I will be in prayer, fighting Satan's lies. All day I will avoid mirrors, scales, and the media in order to prevent myself from slipping down that oh so slippery hill. Nope it wont be easy, and it wont be fun, but I cling to verse that says "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."

About an hour ago I sat alone on my apartment balcony as large thunder clouds formed above, which seemed fitting for the kind of day I knew was to come, anyway, I opened an old book of mine titled Embracing Your True Beauty In Christ. As I flipped through the pages, I came across some quotes and scripture that I had highlighted, which I thought I'd share with you...


1 Peter 3:3-4
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."


Proverbs 31:30
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."


1 Samuel 16:7
"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man Looks at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart."


Song of Solomon 4:7
"All beautiful you are, my darling; there is no flaw in you."


Beauty tips by Audrey Hepburn:
1. For attractive lips, speak words of kindness
2. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people
3. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry
4. For Beautiful hair, let a child play with it often
5. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone

3 comments:

Bri and John said...

Love it! Your'e a beautiful joy in my life Emmy. Love you.

The Abram Family said...

Emily, you are incredibly inspirational!

Aunt Sharon said...

Now that's true beauty..you my Dear are wiser than most. The only mirror any of us should be using is the reflection of ourselves through HIS eyes. When we see ourselves how God sees us...then we see our true self.
Much Love,
Mom