Monday, January 5, 2009

New Years Resolution 2009

Well its official, yet another year has begun. For the past few days I've been mulling over exactly what my new years resolutions should be for 2009.... unfortunately I seem to experiencing a brain block. I cant tell you how sick I am of hearing the oh so typical resolutions like "lose weight", "be happier", or "make more money". I knew that if I was going to make any kind of resolution this year, it would be one that truly mattered, one that would challenge me, change me, and shape me further into the woman of God that I so desperately desire to be. Even more so, I didnt want to make a resolution that I simply wouldn't keep. This morning as Tirzah and I took our routine walk around the neighborhood, I began to go through a mental list of possible resolutions.... and by the end of our walk I found myself no closer to an idea than when I had begun. As I flopped frustratingly down onto my living room couch, I spied a new book I bought over Christmas sitting over on my shelf just staring at me. I finally gave into the curiosity, picked up the tiny little book entitled "YOU! God's Brand-New Idea... Made to be Amazing" by Max Lucado, and started flipping through the pages. Then I saw it, there on page 35 lied a passage that immediately spoke to my heart.


Galations 6:4-5 (The Message)

Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.



While it may not be your typical new years resolution, I knew when I read it that I had found my goal for 2009. I want to make a commitment to explore myself this year and truly get to know who God created me to be and His purpose for my life. I want to dedicate myself to becoming my creative best, while nurturing my talents and gifts without comparing myself to others. To be honest, I have no idea just what pursuing this goal will look like, but I've committed it to prayer, confidant that the Lord will show me how to go about it. Wish me luck on my new pursuit!! :-)

No comments: