Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thrifty Living


*Phew*
Its been a year filled with change, growth, love, heartache, laughter, and surprises. And through it all I've felt the hand of the Lord upon me, shaping me and molding me into the woman He so desires. I've been challenged in ways I never knew possible, and have accomplished tasks previously unimaginable. I'm not sure I recognize the girl I am today, nor do I know who I'll be tomorrow. But I do know that each day I grow closer to the Lord as He pushes me and strengthens me in areas of my life previously untouched. Its exciting, yet strange. I'm hopeful and encouraged, but scared and unsure. I no longer want to be the same. I want the Lord to see me, know me, and reach deep inside my soul and grab hold of me. I want to be free from a world that seeks to harm me. I want more than this life has to offer. I want to be uncomplicated, simplified, and filled with His glory. So in my strange attempt to free myself from these mundane everyday chains, I've begun a new challenge. For the next year of my life, I will no long let shopping, clothing, shoes, or accessories define who I am. I refuse to be tied to an industry that glorifies shopping addictions, credit cards, and debt. For the next year, I will only shop at thrift stores. If it hasn't been used or worn before, I will refuse to purchase it. Not only will my pocket book thank me, my heart will be at rest. No more competing for "best dressed". No more comparisons. No more believing that too much is never enough. No more! I desire to squash envy, live contently, and allow the Lord to challenge my heart in ways I've never experienced. It will be a time of saving money, relying on the Lord, and of course "living green" as I seek to live a truly secondhand life. So here I go. I'm jumping in with both feet!! Who knows where I'll land, but I trust my Lord.

3 comments:

debra@dustjacket said...

Way to go!

Some of my blog friends only shop at thrift, they have the prettiest clothes and so different too. A lot of them are into vintage.

xxx

Lindsay said...

I think this is a great idea Emily...I cant wait to see pics of the treasures you find :)

Amanda said...

Wow.....I'm so impressed by your commitment to second hand clothes. You have to share your best finds with us!