Thursday, February 4, 2010

Song of Songs

Song of Songs is one of my favorite books of the Bible.
Its goes without saying that I love literature. But I especially love literature that isn't afraid to go against the grain. I respect authors who exploit topics of taboo nature and write with tremendous raw candor and emotion. I admire works of literature that dare to be a little dark, a little risque, and a little uncomfortable to the reader. And this is why I love Song of Songs. It was said that this book, one of a Biblical nature mind you, once made priests squirm and blush due to its explicit depiction of love and sex within marriage.
If you've never read this poetic, beautiful, and quite steamy book, I recommend giving it a read. It will inspire you.
Here is one of my favorite passages taken from the book:
Song of Songs 3:1-5
"All night long on my bed
I looked for the one my heart loves;
I looked for him but did not find him.
I will get up now and go about the city,
Through its streets and squares;
I will search for the one my heart loves.
So I looked for him but did not find him.
The watchmen found me
as they made their rounds in the city
"Have you seen the one my heart loves?"
Scarcely had I passed them
When I found the one my heart loves.
I held him and would not let him go
Till I had brought him to my mothers house,
To the room of the one who conceived me.
Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you
By the gazelles and by the does of the field:
Do not arouse or awaken love
Until it so desires."

No comments: