Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect... I hope

Ok so I'll admit it, I'm currently a bit obsessed with learning how to play the guitar- after all I do have somewhat overly ambitious goals in mind (but I'll keep those to myself for the time being). Playing guitar is like a roller coaster- there are multiple highs and lows to contend with on a daily basis. Some days I love it and could practice for hours on end, yet some days I hate how much my fingers hurt from incessant chord changes that don't seem to improve. But despite it all, I'm absolutely in love with my guitar, and so I press on. I try to remind myself that even Joan Jett, my female guitar rocking idol, was self taught and eventually improved with practice. Today I stumbled upon a quote of Joan's and it was just the encouragement I needed, so I've decided to share it with you....
"Work through your calluses. Practice to your favorite records. Find some friends to play with just for fun. Practice, practice, practice! Even if its just mindless strumming, I do that all the time. Just keep your hands working!"
I'll get it- someday I'll get... just you wait and see!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Emily,
Play on!! It's worth the intial pain. Michael's self-taught, too. Just takes practice.
Aunt Cindy

emily morgan said...

Thanks Aunt Cindy- I will for sure!! :-)